Minimally invasive da Vinci® robotic surgical procedures are important treatment options for most urologic conditions and cancers. Urologists at Urology of Central PA lead the region in performing prostate and urologic robotic surgery, having performed more than 3,000 of these procedures since 2006.
Our surgeons specialize in all types of robotic urologic surgery including:
- Robotic prostatectomies for prostate cancer
- Partial nephrectomies for kidney cancer and benign kidney conditions
- Radical nephrectomies for kidney cancer
- Pyeloplasties for UPJ (ureteropelvic junction) obstruction
- Radical cystectomies for bladder cancer
- Sacrocolpopexy (repair of vaginal prolapse)
- Ureteral repairs for ureteral strictures and injuries
The da Vinci system includes a robot and a surgeon console. The robot’s four arms are positioned over the patient during surgery. Small robotic instruments move inside the patient’s body to perform delicate surgical maneuvers. The surgeon console is a separate unit that controls the movements of the robot inside the body and gives surgeons a magnified, high-definition and 3-D view of the surgical site. By utilizing robotic technology, a surgeon’s hand movements are motion scaled and any hand tremor is filtered resulting in perfectly translated, precise movements of the instruments. At all times, the surgeon is in complete control of the robotic instrument’s movements.
In contrast to conventional surgical methods which require one large 6-10 inch incision, patients undergoing robotic surgeries have several ½ inch (key-hole) incisions through which the surgery is performed. During the surgery, a telescopic camera lens is inserted into one of the small incisions for pristine vision, allowing the surgeon to preserve the nerves, normal tissues and surrounding muscle. The cancerous tissue is then removed from the body through one of the small incisions.
There are many benefits to robotic surgery including shorter hospital stays, quicker recovery times, faster return to normal activity and work, less pain and decreased blood loss. Numerous medical studies have shown that a patient’s surgical outcomes with the robot are equal or superior to traditional open surgical procedures for the same urologic conditions.
Why should you choose a urologist from Urology of Central PA for your robotic surgery?
- We perform more robotic urologic surgical procedures than any other group in Central PA.
- Our surgeons were among the first to begin performing robotic prostatectomies in the Central PA area and maintain the largest volume of surgeries for this type of robotic surgery.
- We offer this service at UPMC Pinnacle Health System and Geisinger Holy Spirit Hospitals.
If you are considering open or robotic urologic surgery with your regular urologist, for your piece of mind, get a second opinion from the most experienced team in the region.